Let's Get Punny: Card Making with Funny Puns
24 November 2010
Author: Nicolle Ratzlaff
I think you’re punny! See, that all by itself is a pun, and funny puns are everywhere! Simply put - puns are just a clever play on words. I see them on t-shirts, advertisements, businesses, billboards and more. Some puns are witty, some are clever and some just make you smile.
There happens to be a blog dedicated to puns. On this site, people photograph the funny things they see and post them to the site. Two restaurants I saw on this site and were both clever and funny. One was a sandwich place called “wich craft” and the other was a Mediterranean place called “Pita Pan”.
I also have a collection of punny T-shirts. One that I wear a lot has a rock and a ruler on it and the rock is saying “you rule” to the ruler. The ruler is saying, “you rock” to the rock.
There are many punny examples to share, and many more that you can incorporate into your card creations. The punny cards here feature animals.
The Merry Christmas Deer Friend card features a reindeer and says “deer friend” - but we know that is the play on words because it would normally be spelled “dear”.
The Best Fishes card says “best fishes” instead of “best wishes”.
Animal stamps, stickers and items in your paper crafting stash, are sure to be perfect in recreating these and other great cards.
Other animal images you can try on your cards might include:
- A sheep and the sentiment “I love ewe”
- Bears to say “grin and bear it”
- Frogs or bunnies to say “hoppy for you", or "hoppy birthday"
- A monkey and the sentiment "monkeying around" or "I'm going bananas over you"
- You could even use a bird to say “happy bird-day” or “chirp up”
Animals are just one example of what you can use to bring funny puns into your crafting.
Here are a few other creative ideas for funny puns:
- A baby in a crib on the front, can say, “crib notes” - that is a great way to use up left over baby product from another project.
- Wine has lots of possibilities, my favorite is a few wine glass stickers and the sentiment “wine a bit, you’ll feel better”. At least, I know this works for me!
- Using fruit, create the message: “berry sweet” or “one in a melon.”
By incorporating funny puns into your card creating you will be able to make something simple and that makes you smile all at the same time. Puns and cards go perfectly together, just like peanut butter and jelly, simply made for one another.